25 June, 2011

Where

That night, an old man called me.
I had fallen asleep by the porch
And saw the trees heavier
With moonlight. They extended
Their bodies over my own, asking
Young man, you know where to go
From here? I saw him under some pines
Pointing to the stars, pointing
A dim flashlight on my feet.
To where sir, I asked.

after David Ignatow

*
[Published in the latest issue of the Philippines Free Press]

For Tatay Sardo, who passed away on 3AM earlier today. Tay, gidala nako ang gihatag nimo nga puti nga sapatos adtong Mayo. Daghang salamat, Tay! I'll be using it sometimes throughout law school and even after. I'll try not to wear it out. But we both know it will eventually. Tay, what does the universe feel like?

*
I was awake at 3AM, studying. I noted this down for "A Sensible Life" before sleeping: [unedited] That day late at night I thought of love and read a lot of love poems. I woke to the sound of rain against the city’s roofs that early in the day. I went to the local fastfood chain not to eat but just to go out. I wanted to see how the world was in its lazy time. I wanted to see raindrops course through glass like the cheeks of a woman. I wanted to be the rain, the world at a silent time. I wanted to be with the world, see the world happening when the rain finally let up. The streets with so few cars and the occassional person on the overpass, I wanted the sight of these, and wanting these came not from the sheer desire to just go out, but the desire to go out of myself, the desire to transform and be transformed. I just wanted to go out into the world, see how it was when it was happening, when it was breathing after the almost continuous rain for the past two days, going on three.

No comments: